Thanksgiving meanderings. . .

It's a beautifully windy - and yet still humid - day in Singapore. So, another typical day begins. Though if a toddler standing at the foot of your bed early in the morning has ever awaked you, you obviously and most immediately know that the remaining day holds less than anything remotely typical!

America's Thanksgiving is in full swing already and after

living overseas for a number of years in Europe, nothing could have prepared us for the lack of festiveness that is seeming to permeate our household. Amazingly, or not so amazingly enough, this has gotten my brain thinking once more about the whys and how comes of such feelings or missed feelings? Maybe it's due to the fact that we have never lived in a place where there were no seasons. Now a true Singaporean would argue and inform us that there are seasons here, normal hot and humid and then the monsoon hot and humid seasons!
Of course however, to this ex-pat who grew up on the east coast, I'm used to seasons that have major recognizable weather changes and very distinct sports as well. It honestly just wasn't the same watching my loving Yankees win yet another glorious World Series while I dripped in sweat . . . that's only supposed to happen earlier in the season! :-)

In any case, I wonder, how many of us, even though the "weather outside may be frightful", go through this season unscathed and unchanged?

And what about our spiritual lives? Is this Thanksgiving just another holiday soon to come and go? Are we just struggling to make it past Wednesday to then fill our tummies and fall on the floor asleep to the American Football game (or parade depending upon how early you eat!)? Will we go into the fast approaching Advent season in true anticipation for our Father to "make something new" or will we merely just wish to make it through?

In less than a few hours I will be turning yet another year older and I almost feel as if I have not aged a bit- at least in the past 6 years of course! But, does that change the fact that I have aged, and in effect changed?

You see, here I am at one of our local cafes on my only day off hoping for a change. And honestly it has nothing to do with the weather (no matter how much I love the snow!). I want more than anything to BE THANKFUL for EVERYTHING. The good, the (what I may consider) bad, the weaknesses, and the things I might even think are strengths. I want to LIVE THANKFULLY in a great anticipation (Advent) of the fact that my King is coming. And He's coming for all, even this outcast young fella and his little sheep (my two beautiful kids). I am expecting Him to do something new!

Wanna expect and anticipate with us?

Now for a few short updates:

1. Please keep us in your hearts and minds over the next couple months as we will be hosting a number of parties and guests. . . Who knows what could happen?! :-)

2. Natalie's Backyardigans Birthday Bash is December 5th!

3. The soccer season of coaching officially ended with a pretty good record. The guys gave us coaches some really nice gifts - here's me in one of them and Natalie in another.

4. The Whetstone's got to be tourists this past weekend. We headed over to the Singapore Flyer, "largest ferris wheel in the world". It was a fun ride, especially since our kids had fun too! We were honestly a bit nervous because it was an 1/2 hour ride with "no escape", so we were praying that the Whetpebbles would be ok! These pics will be loaded on our blog site soon.

5. We got to hang out on the Formula One Night Race Track... The kids had fun running around. Too bad we missed the opportunity to actually see the race. But, we did hear it from our apartment. Yeah, it's a really small island! :-)


6. We've started enjoying the Singapore Christmas Holiday festivities... We'll share more pictures in time, but here's one to wet your appetite.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! It looks like you and your little one enjoy birthdays along with the King of Kings! Blessings! Mine is Dec. 19 and Anniversary Dec. 27. Isn't it fun to have all the fun gathered together around His day?

I do so enjoy reading your informational blog. You are in my prayers often.

Nora from LA (lower Alabama)
Anonymous said…
Dear Whetstones:
Hope you have a blessed Christmas. Your Thanksgiving pictures are sweet! You are a blessing to me! I'm praying for your family, and I hope the next year will bring you all many blessings. Bless you! Barbara Bowen, millbrook Church of the Nazarene

Popular Posts