CNY 2010 + Pregnancy + New Job = Ambiguity!


Do you remember those "first" things? You know like your fist bike ride without training wheels, or your first day of High School, first kiss, first date, your baby's first step, or when your baby girl said for the first time, "I Love you Daddy" (even though it sounded more like "I wuave you Dabby"). Well, we had a couple firsts lately.

As we mentioned in our last blog, Natalie has started school and along with it have come a number of firsts. . . But, being in Singapore has brought ones we never dreamed of - like her first Chinese New Years (CNY) pre-school celebration.
Despite the fact that our daughter had a small temper tantrum that day (which of course was probably much bigger to us than it was to the rest of the people around), it was a really cool event.

Natalie is in Nursery 2. Which basically means, that it's prep for Kindergarten and specifically designed just for 3 year olds! She loves it, and we love that she loves it. Even though her class did not perform on stage (that was left to the older 4 - 6 years olds), she did get to dress up in her "Chang pao and the Shen-I" (chinese outfits), and sing along with the kids (in Chinese too)! This was most definitely a FRIST we won't ever forget.

CNY has officially ended after 2 weeks of celebration, and we've done what we can to catch a few more special events - a couple Lion Dances, some special music dramas, a couple evenings with some friends, and of course decorations all over the Island; while our kids racked up the money from all the "red packets" they got! It's also the year of the Tiger, so what better way to celebrate than go visit the Tigers at the Zoo (and the Zoo's always a winner with our kid). For more pictures of the Whetstone's past couple months click here.

Now, if you have not heard already via Facebook, email, Skype, or just by word of mouth - we are expecting Whetpebble #3! Danielle is looking ever so beautiful at just over three months, and as soon as we know what the gender is, we'll let you all know too! :-) For now, the due date is September 4 - but if this baby is anything like our previous children, we're expecting an early birth at the end of August. This will be our first baby born overseas and even though we are not worried in the least with the care we'll receive here in Singapore, you can still keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Finally, before we sign off, we'd like to just ask for special prayer. We are in the midst of yet another job transition. The delay of this post is mainly due to us wanting to write in detail about our new job - but yet again, it seems as though we're living through more ambiguity.

Danielle will be done with her job at Focus on the Family Singapore at the end of March therefore, I have been actively looking for a job. I was hired a few months ago by another organization which would most definitely tap into my skills, gifts, and talents. But I was denied my work visa. We tried to appeal but it was rejected as well based on "quota" (ie, number of foreigners vs. Singaporeans employees). This is a big government issue at the moment and there are 2 -3 newspaper articles every week about the need to become less dependent on foreign workers. So, today my application was filed with another organization. This job too looks like a good fit for me and our family. Therefore, we're asking for your fellowship. . . prayers and thoughts!

We want to be in Singapore, if God wants us here. We feel as though our work is not done, but the only way we can stay legally is with employment. So, I'll leave you with a short story as to why we hope to remain in Singapore:

You never know who's watching, right? For the past 6 months, I've been the "stay-at-home-dad ". I've managed to lecture and teach part-time while taking care of the kids too since Danielle had to return to working full-time. In any case, it's not the easiest to take two children under the age of 4 out and fly solo without your amazing super wife on hand - but I managed (we'll just have to see how the kids turn out in 10 or so years!).

Strangely enough on two occasions in the past two months, I've been approached by two other fathers who've complimented me on the children as well as my parenting (or at least my survival) of these two incredibly "beautiful and very energetic" kids.

You see I take the kids to the same places over and over (especially our favorite muffin joint). Some might call it a "gutter routine" or that I'm "stuck in a rut", while still others might say that you're acting like a "broken record" (that of course comes from the older generation!). In any case, I call it "intentional frequency". Ultimately I'm bound to run into some of the same folks over and over again and hopefully they'll catch onto the frequency that lives in me.

Anyway, these two fathers who approached me, are ones we see off and on. I honestly do not know their names, nor do I know their professions. I do however, know their faces, and I hope to get to know them better. We have a number of people like this in our lives. People we want
to get to know better. Sure, there are a solid group of people we know much better, especially those in our apartment complex, but there are many like these two men. . . So, we hope to stay, while still praying "not my will, but Yours oh God, be done!"

Until next time. . . live life to the fullest and as intentional as possible even in the midst of ambiguity!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats on the new baby to come!!
We think of you often and pray for
you.
There's still room for you at the Winkle's if you're ever in the Atlanta area!
God Bless!

Vickie Winkle
Lorna said…
Hey Guys,

You are doing such an amazing job over in Singapore; working, parenting and serving an awesome God. Contratulations on the new life both of you and you will most certainly be in my prayers for the requests you made.

Love you lots, All God's blessings

Lorna xx

Popular Posts