28 Days of Prayer - Day 1


28 Days of Prayer Meanderings -  Day 1: I Thessalonians 5:16-18
Meandering: Augustine once said, “True, whole prayer is nothing but love.” Really? Could that actually be truth? Is it possible to have such a way about oneself (or within oneself) that one’s conversation or prayer life is less about the words and much more about a love affair with the One who is listening, talking, and transforming even the very conversation within the relationship? If that’s true then, what now? Or better yet, “how now?” How do I move forward in my love affair (also known as prayer life) with the One who loves more than we could ever imagine?

I hear the challenge from Paul, to pray without ceasing, Yet, is this even possible? Maybe it is if it’s less about doing prayer and more about falling in love with God? Yet, where does one even begin? Could our first step be as simple as spending time or as some have said, wasting time with Jesus?

I believe, Richard Foster offers us a great place to start in what he calls “simple prayer.” Basically, we bring our concerns, our needs and circumstances - all of ourselves – to God- the great Lover, even if they seem petty, selfish or insignificant. We tell God everything – share our heart and mind! Throughout these next days I hope to engage in this act of simple prayer and share everything with my heavenly Father who loves me so very much. I hope to climb up in his lap and give myself to him in love - because, honestly, what Father in his right mind would kick his child of his lap (even if he the child does fall asleep)?

Let’s assume for these next 28 days that we will intentionally spend time with our Lord and Savior and seek to fall deeper in love. Just possibly, we can then discover ourselves within this love adventure while also learning how to be prayerful. Let us boldly walk in humble confidence and grateful hearts and minds willing to be transformed in Christ. May we be encouraged, therefore, as pilgrims falling deeper in love to “lay before Him what is in us, not what ought to be in us” as C.S. Lewis might say. And remember to pray as we can, not as we can’t.

Once again, I cry in my infancy as a child of the king, “Dear God, I am so grateful for your invitation to enter your heart of love. As best I can I come in. Thank you for receiving me. Amen.”(Richard Foster)

After Thought: Rejoice and give thanks. Fall in love with Him through thankfulness.

Comments

Popular Posts