What do Phone Books, a youth Retreat, a Broken Transmision and an EBT card have in common?

There are some in power who sometimes believe that they are the ones who make decisions for other peoples course in life. To some extent this is true but the deeper I grow in relationship with my Lord, I find an ancient Hebrew proverb to be so much more true . . . that "a person may chart his course, but it is the Lord who determines his steps" (Proverbs 11:9). . .

It's been about 10 months now that I've been looking for a new job and strangely enough I find that ancient Hebrew proverb to be more true than ever... Maybe I am growing in my faith? A few promising opportunities seemed to begin to flourish yet in the end, they've failed to bloom- well at least for me. On top of what seems to be an endless job search, my family has experienced a great deal of other obstacles: my parents house is still in negotiations concerning a possible foreclosure. . . my dad had a double stint heart procedure. . . my mom found out that she has thickening of her heart walls on top of ever progressing fibromyalgia. . . and me, my wife and our three kids have had to shack up with my folks for the past 9 months. . . and more.

This may sound like a terrible winter storm or a time in the wilderness and it just may be. Yet, it took a couple weeks of delivering phone books and a really long trip to Michigan to get my brain (or better yet, my heart) re-focused on why I'm still where I am.

It's been about three months since my last blog post and I held off writing because I kept thinking that something GRAND was going to happen. I kept thinking that some big job or event of bliss was going to take place. Sometimes I would wonder if just possibly I had made a wrong decision about one of the possible jobs that had come my way even though I know they did not fit me or my family. But then . . .

A little job like delivering some local phone books came my way. It was a definite family affair where we loaded up our mini-van daily for about two weeks and delivered as many books as we could - when you've got three little ones riding around in the van too. :-) The pay check was tiny but it paid for an unexpected bill we received. Then a friend of mine asked me to speak at his youth retreat in Michigan and my uncle asked if we could come and speak at the church he is serving as associate pastor in Michigan . . . and then another friend mentioned that her sister's church could use a couple missionary speakers - which by the way was on the exact route we were going to be driving to get to Michigan. And then I began to remember something . .

We were blessed to have spoken at Marysville Church of the Nazarene in Ohio and Metropolitan Church of the Nazarene in Roseville, MI and even have the great opportunity to reconnect with three of Tim's high school friends from Midland, MI whom he had not seen in 19 years as well as some missionary friends from Italy whom we had not seen for about 4 years. Check out the photo journey here- the kids look great! And then life happened to us once again.

Danielle was pulling out of my Uncle's driveway when our trusty mini-van decided it was time for its transmission to go out! Long story short, we were recommended to some mechanics who fixed our transmission for as low a cost as possible and we began to remember something . . .

That ancient Hebrew proverb came to mind and we realized a few things; the transmission went out in the best place possible (ok... it not going out at all would have been better)- my uncles driveway . . . we were not stranded on some snow banked highway with three little ones in the van . . . the money we made over the course of our trip from our speaking engagements was but $200 shy of repairing the entire transmission and they did the work in time for us to drive another 3 1/2 hours to the youth retreat in Lake City, MI. . .

I was also reminded that in the midst of trial I've been able to do what I love - speak and teach and even church plant. . .We've had a roof over our head, healthy kids, transportation (nearly all the time), opportunities to travel together, an extraordinary amount of time together as a family, and every need we've had has been met. And most importantly, not because of someone or some amazing self-made entrepreneurship, but because of the One "who directs our steps".

You see I've come to realize that I am and have been where I am and where I've been because of God. Sure I've made decisions to go or stay in certain places, but in all of it, I've done my best to see the Lord's direction. Sure, I've "charted course" but in hindsight it's sure looked like He's directed my steps. . . and thanks be for that! In other words, I believe that We are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Eph 2:10) “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Phil 1:6) I have abandoned myself to Him and He (as always) has remained faithful and we've been where He has wanted us for as long as He has wanted us there: Italy, Washington D.C., Alabama, Singapore, Kansas City and now Delaware. And, we'll be working with Life Now (which is now an official new start Church of the Nazarene) in a plethora of ways and living in the "first state" for as long as He sees fit.

Thanks for all those who actually read the entire blog. I'm sorry it's been so long but it has been three months. We appreciate your love and support and if you are interested in helping in the new work we're involved in at Life Now Nazarene you can give gifts directly here on our web site or you can give charitable contributions to the Mid-Atlantic Nazarene District earmarked: Life Now Nazarene (Whetstone). If you need more detailed information, don't hesitate to contact us via email: lifenownaz@gmail.com or Facebook.

Until next time live and love in His power!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're a good writer! I usually avoid blogs since so many of them are complaining about something or someone. I also avoid them because I sense most bloggers are simply interested in glorifying themselves. You blog, however, gives glory to God even in the most challenging of days. I am encouraged by your family and by your faith. We will continue to keep you in our prayers.

Grace and Peace,
Corey
Thank you for your kind remarks. I'm glad to serve Him however He see fit... even through blogs! :-)
Unknown said…
good blog...i really enjoyed it
Hopefully well see you Sunday...
OB

Popular Posts